Thor Trucks Inc. is a technology company working to change the commercial freight landscape. Out goal is to replace diesel-powered vehicles by designing and developing fully electric heavy trucks. We’re building a safer, smarter, greener way of transporting freight.
Our team is small, fast moving, and growing quickly. Ideal candidates at this stage are those who are excited about joining a young company, able to take on real responsibilities, have leadership experience, and thrive on executing.
The systems engineer will collaborate with the rest of the engineering team on the development of a brand new vehicle concept from the ground up. They will also work on a conversion of an existing vehicle in our shop.
Immediate needs include high power AC motor control, VCU programming, integration of components for our demo vehicle, and playing a fundamental role in the development of our new truck concept, from contributing innovative ideas, to researching and integrating components and working closely with suppliers.
- Program and control vehicle motors of all types.
- Design algorithms and controls schemes for all electronic equipment on vehicle.
- Create statement of work and detailed specifications for advanced technology projects in close cooperation with internal teams and vendors.
- Specify and recommend cables and fusing for both 12V low voltage and 600V+ high voltage systems.
- VCU programming.
- Lead multiple advanced technology work projects simultaneously.
- Lead supplier peer reviews and participate in frequent peer discussions.
- Pro-actively interact with tier 1 suppliers to coordinate hardware and software mockups.
- Define and implement clear test plans to ensure quality and performance requirements.
- Characterize displays for optical and electrical behavior.
- Manage development team meetings, create minutes, create and track action item lists.
- Support validation team in establishing test flows and requirements.
- Address and resolve all safety and compliance issues.
- Experience with AC motor control, testing and tuning.
- Familiar with automotive/commercial vehicle drive motor algorithms, control methods and overall design architecture.
- Knowledge of basic electrical fundamentals.
- An understanding of motor control, types of motors, circuit protection, programming, and CAN.
- Self motivated, ability to work alone as well as with a team.
- Will excel in the startup environment (fast-paced, small team, wear many hats).
- Obsessed with solving complex problems.
- Experienced or familiar with automotive applications.